Giclée printing allows us to create incredibly rich and detailed fine art prints, using specialist printers, archival quality, fade-resistant inks and acid free art and photo papers. Our paper selection contains smooth and textured, matt and gloss papers, through a partnership with Hahnemühle, one of the world’s leading giclée paper manufacturers.
- Prints priced individually
- Hahnemühle certified print studio
- Colour managed print workflow
- Superwide printing available up to 60"
- Drop ship your prints direct to customers
HOW WE CREATE YOUR PRINTS
We can work from original paintings, drawings and photographs, or from digital files created with virtually any professional imaging software. Take a look at the Artwork Checklist for digital file specs.
If your artwork has not yet been scanned or photographed, we can do this for you in our pro studio, using daylight-balanced lighting and specialised high resolution equipment, from £75 per image
Our large paper collection means there's a media suitable for every piece of artwork. Use something you're familiar with or visit the studio with your artwork for a paper demo.
PRINTING & FINISHING
Using 12 colour fine art printers, we ensure each and every print is quality checked to our high standard, and packaged securely for delivery or collection. Prints from Klein Imaging set a new standard for print sharpness, vibrancy and detail.
Giclée Printing - The full story
Artwork is captured from high resolution scans or photographs, and is then proofed and printed digitally using precise printers, archival-quality inks and acid-free art and photo papers. Giclée prints are quickly being recognized by the world’s leading galleries and museums as the finest reproductions available to date.
Our 12-colour Canon giclée printer produces incredibly detailed prints for both the fine art and photographic markets. Giclée prints render deep, saturated colors and have an exceptional quality that retains minute detail, subtle tints and blends. The term giclée is meant to be applied only to archival digital prints made with fine art paper or canvas.
Giclée prints are advantageous to artists who do not find it feasible to mass produce their work, but want to reproduce their art as needed, on-demand, or for limited edition. Once an image is digitally archived, additional reproductions can be made with minimal effort and reasonable cost. The prohibitive up-front cost of mass production for an edition is eliminated. Archived files will not deteriorate in quality as negatives and film inherently do. Digital images can be reproduced to almost any size and onto various papers, giving the artist the ability to customize prints for a specific client.
Today, Giclée prints have gained wide acceptance and legitimacy, and are now shown in museums and galleries throughout the world. Numerous examples of giclée prints can for example be found in the New York Metropolitan Museum, and in the Tate Galleries. Recent auctions of giclée prints have fetched £10,800 for Annie Leibovitz, and £22,800 for Wolfgang Tillmans.
The Giclée printing process is environmentally safe since the inks are water-based and the paper is archival and acid-free. Thus, a Giclée must be treated as fine art and placed away from direct sunlight, even though we use long-life archival UV-safe pigmented inks supplied by Canon.
CUSTOMER FEEDBACKArt Print Production
Just a quick note to say I received the print yesterday, and also to say how impressed I am with the quality of the print. Until around 10 years ago I was a reprographics tech, tasked with colour calibration and accuracy, so I know what a good job you guys have done. Your efforts are greatly appreciated. Kind Regards Terry
Can't believe how quickly the order turned up, really convenient, couldn't be more pleased and the print quality was fantastic as always. Just like to say a huge thanks, Kind regards, Daniel
I unpacked the prints today (very well packaged from the UK), and the whole office went "WOW". The clarity of the image is superb - almost 3D-like. The quality of the Hahnemühle German Etching Paper is just amazing and these prints wouldn't look out of place in a top notch gallery! I look forward to purchasing more prints from you, keep up the great work!
The prints are very impressive. It feels like it does justice to the artwork. There is a greater depth of colour and there is not the shine that there is on the laser printed examples we had made. Basically there is a huge difference. I have no experience in these matters, but even for a heathen like me it's clear to see that it gives the appearance like the artwork is "in" or "soaked into" the paper, rather than just as sitting as a layer on top, like the laser print. One thing I've realised is that I will now be as proud to sell these as I am proud to sell my honey. That was what was niggling me before, the quality. The cheap laser prints just didn't sit well alongside the expensive, high quality artisan produced honey. Now it fits together quite nicely.
Helt Honey, Denmark
Also as a result of my latest sale, I had to actually take steps to find myself a good fine art printer in Manchester. I was really happy with the printer I used to work with down in Devon, and I was apprehensive about trying to find someone as good again, but the team at Klein Imaging were so patient with me as I procrastinated about how best to set out the print, and the finished product was every bit as good as my previous print, so I was really happy with the final result. So now I know which printer I'll be working with in Manchester, if and when I sell more prints, and that's a really good thing!
Consistently fantastic service from Klein Imaging, who go more than the extra mile. I only wish my own mobile phone photo, here, could show the quality of the photography and the finished prints.
ARTWORK CHECKLISTGetting it right first time
- Always save your files in print-ready, uneditable file formats such as JPG, TIFF or PNG.
- Do not use layers; please reduce everything to the background layer / flatten the image before sending
- We accept RGB files and print using RGB inks. If your files are in CMYK mode, please convert them to RGB before sending them through to us. The best colour profile to use for this is sRGB IEC61966-2.1.
- RGB has a much wider colour range than CMYK, and since we use a 12-colour machine we have the valuable addition of RGB inks at our disposal, as well as the regular CMYK inks.
BLACK AND WHITE
- Thanks to our 12-colour capable machine (which contains no less than 4 different types of black ink), we can print true black and white rather than lesser printers that often produce a colour cast on b&w prints by approximating the greys using colour-balanced ink loads.
- If you want to print in true black and white, please set up your artwork to a greyscale profile, and let us know you’d like true black and white in your instructions.
- Ideally, 300 dpi at your desired print size, although the higher the resolution, the better the printing quality. Don’t worry if your resolution isn’t high enough – with our professional interpolation (enlarging) software we can enlarge the size of prints with minimum loss of quality.
- You can either size your images to the specific size you want yourself before sending them to print, or if you’d like to take advantage of our professional-grade interpolation (enlarging) software, then we can enlarge your images for you providing they are set up to the correct aspect ratio (length vs width), at the highest available resolution.
- Our printers do not apply any sharpening by default so artwork should be pre-sharpened in your image editing software. We do, however, have professional-grade sharpening software at the pre-press stage, so if you would like us to add sharpening to your image, please just let us know.
- We are able to produce giclée prints up to 60″ / 1.5m wide (on the shortest edge), by almost any length… we have recently produced our biggest ever print at 1.5 x 13m! These prints can be enormous, but rest assured we are happy to print any image from 8 x 10″ / A5 upwards.
- Some of the giclée papers that we stock can only be printed up to 44″ wide due to the width of the supplied paper rolls – our latest swatch book indicates which paper types are available in each maximum width.